9.22.2014

notes

my bones broke when i ripped the page

and your mother stopped calling when you were

nothing but fine.

you were

anything but fine.

big hearts break into small pieces.

and her lips said love

and her hips said sin

and i know i can't be unbroken

and i know i can't take back the words i've thrown from my tongue,

even if i wanted to,

even when they shattered against you

and you

and you

and you

like a glass bottle shatters against brick

and i lied to myself when i said that i was strong.

because broken glass cuts.

it always has.

it always will.

and i warn myself away

and i keep my own secrets

for now.

and i watched my hands,

two at the top

the right drops

the white splits

half stuck on the left

half escaped to the right

that flutters down

and the "in" falls

on the fault line

and the "er" stays

between the satin covers.

so, slip your fingers between mine, love,

and cry for me when i can't myself

because my bones broke when i ripped the page,

and my eyes stayed dry.

my bones broke when i ripped the page

and i watched as white turned to grey.

let the tears carve tracks to your throat, dear,

because my bones broke when i ripped the page,

and i'd be lying if i said i wouldn't do it again.

cry like a firestorm, love,

cry,

because big hearts break into small pieces,

just like everything else.


--erin




3 comments:

  1. I tried to copy and paste parts I liked into this comment but soon, everything was in this comment except for some of the punctuation. New favorite. PS I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay. hi. i don't know if you'll ever see this, so i may post something reminiscent of it on your blog or just text you so that you do see it. BUT, i miss you, too. i feel like i should take a day trip up to logan to hang out with you, but i'm not sure how that would work out logistically, but i'm trying to figure it out, because that would be fun. so, yeah. i may see you some saturday soon. #alliteration

      Delete
  2. Stumbled onto this again. I love it even more the second time.

    ReplyDelete