10.07.2014

runaway is one word run away is two words

when i was little, i tried to run away.
i just wanted someone to ask me where i was going.

no one did.
i wasn't sure, myself.

now everyone is asking where i'm going
and i'm not sure, myself.

i'm asking where i'm going
and i'm not sure, myself.

i used to hold onto faith like it was the life preserver
and now it's becoming the water.

the leaves are falling without my tears
and i can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

questions are calling out from underneath my bed
and they don't know if they want answers

or if they just want to see me break.
i'm not sure, myself.

i don't know when it became so important,
but i just want to know how many coffins

have bloodstains.
i'm not sure, myself.

it's like something is screaming at me,
asking where i belong.

it might be me or my head or my heart
but they are sure things and i

am not

and i can't answer
because i'm not sure where the choices ended

and the expectations began.
the water i'm falling into

is either trying to carry me or drown me.
it isn't sure, itself.

i used to walk the line between right and wrong.
i walked it for so long that i didn't notice

that there was no line.
i'm sure of that, myself.

i've been staring at the stars,
asking them what my name was supposed to be,

and watching the red on my sleeve that my heart left
after it crawled back into my chest.

i've been asking the stars how many coffins have bloodstains.
they aren't sure, themselves.



--erin



2 comments:

  1. AHHHH SO GOOD. YOUR WRITING IS AT ANOTHER LEVEL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STOP WHAT AHHHHH NO OH MY HOLY WOW.

    I'm so happy you changed the font. So incredibly happy.

    the leaves are falling without my tears
    and i can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

    and the questions and the bed and OH STOP WOW OH MY

    ReplyDelete